bohemian nursery inspiration & diy refurbished vintage dresser
Now that there is a baby boy on his way (and I am in the magical second trimester where my energy is high, and my head is actually wrapped around the fact that I’ll have a child in a few short months), I have of course started mapping out the nursery! I think I am a pretty balanced version of adventurous and practical. So here is why a nursery is hard:
1. This is the only time in his life where I’ll be able to decorate his bedroom per my taste. In a few short years, this room will be filled with trucks or superheroes or sports paraphernalia or dolls or instruments or whatever his little heart desires, and I’ll just be doing my best to keep it clean.
2. Again, in a few short years, this room will be filled with trucks or superheroes or sports paraphernalia or dolls or instruments or whatever his little heart desires, and I’ll just be doing my best to keep it clean. Why spend a lot of money on something so temporary? What’s the balance between chic and practical when it comes to the budget?
3. I hate baby stuff. This is a real problem. The primary colors, the obnoxious graphics. Unfortunately, I’m not in the club that thinks baby stuff is “cute”.
I’ve gone back and forth on the above, and I’m happy with the balance I have created in the below inspiration board. My decorating style is lots of mixed pattern, color and vintage from every period. We have purchased a few of the larger items (rug, light fixture) and I’ve had some fun thrifting for wall art this month — how cute is that vintage baby tiger painting?! This is my version of “baby” friendly.
The first of many DIY projects for this room was completed about a week ago (don’t worry — I am going to DIY that mobile, and I’ll be sure to post it here)! I found this vintage wood dresser (9 drawers!) for $12. It is the perfect changing table height and fits just below the nursery window.
I chose a very light and bright mint blue color to paint it because it complimented the rug and the mustard color I’ve chose for the curtains and pattern in the sheets (I wore a mask — calm down!). I had planned on updating the hardware, but after I finished sanding/painting, the original chunky brass hardware didn’t look so dingy. I cleaned them with a gentle brass cleaner and reattached!
I love love love how this turned out for a total of around $35 (with painting materials — we had an electric sander). Now to paint those ugly walls & trim!